Sunday, March 18, 2012

Sunday Coffee Club: Moka Loka

This morning's quest for good coffee came on the heals of a trip to the Almaty-2 train station to try and book tickets to Astana for later this week.  The Ticket buying excursion was a success (despite the jack-hammer in operation as I tried to communicate with the ticket woman.  I am not sure what exactly I am riding on as the ticket seems cheap even for 3rd class, but I guess I will find out on Thursday.

This week's coffee club meeting took place at Moka-Loka, a small coffee shop located at 106 Zhibek Zholy right across from TSUM.

I found the shop off Zhibek Zholy through an unobtrusive - barely marked door, down a short, narrow corridor, and to the right through a door marked only "push."

The coffee shop was pleasant and comfortable with a coffee bar on one side and booths lining the windows that look out to the pedestrian street.  The coffee was  fantastic, though perhaps not as interesting as the brew at Bisqvit, and while the food was not exceptional, my crepes with chocolate sauce were quite tasty.  The service was fast and friendly and I was quite pleased that even though the staff spoke some English, they allowed me to speak in Russian, and responded in Russian. In general I found the establishment to be pleasant, friendly, and reasonably priced (the whole meal cost less than 800 tg or about $5.00).

No comments:

Post a Comment