Saturday, June 18, 2011

Friday Photo - a picture of a museum I will probably visit

First of all, congratulations to all of my students who graduated in Philadelphia today!!!! I am very proud of all of you!

I wanted to do pictures of mountains (I LOVE mountains) but I think I will run a short series on the mountains in Kazakhstan later this summer (perhaps while I am amidst some of the mountains in North America).




Since I have been posting a bit about music in Kazakhstan, here is a picture of the museum that houses a collection of historic Kazakh instruments.



To the right is a picture of  the Abay State Academic Opera and Ballet Theater (with some mountains in the background).  This theater was named after the Kazakh educator, philosopher, and humanist poet Abay Kunanbay who, among other things wrote:


"Man comes crying into this world and departs it in sorrow. Between these two events, without fully comprehending the value and uniqueness of the life bestowed upon him, he will burn it up thoughtlessly, squander it in petty quarrels and miserable wrangles, and never know true happiness. He will pause to think only when the sands of life are running out. Only then will he realise that no treasure on earth can prolong his life even for a single day."


1 comment:

  1. Oh, and if you want to learn more about Abai, I found this website helpful: http://www.abay.nabrk.kz/

    ReplyDelete