Thursday, October 27, 2011

Thursday Thrill: (just this once) Medeo Gondola Ride

Don't get used to Thursday Thrill posts, you will only get them when I am on holiday.  Also I am canceling Friday Photo this week because I am running out of things to say.  That feature will return next week with a picture of something really spectacular (or not).  At any rate, enjoy the thrills:

Gondola Ride from Medeo to Shymbulak Resort

Since my first visit to Medeo I have been planning to take the Gondola cable car that runs from a station just below the ice rink up to Shymbulak Ski resort.  I set out on my adventure early because I wanted to get to the resort before the haze set in over the city or before it clouded up (the forcasted weather did not look good).  So I set out from my apartment, walked down to Abay Avenue, and squeezed myself onto the first down-town bound, overcrowded, rush hour bus that looked like it it might be able to hold another passenger.

At the end of Abay, I walked down the hill to the first bus stop.  That is where the No. 6 bus to Medeo originates.  I was surprised that the bus was almost empty (given the cramped nature of my last ride on that bus) and that the fare was only 50 tg (on weekdays - weekends are 70tg).  When I reached Medeo I discovered why:  The Ice rink was closed for speed skating practice, and the Gondola doesn't open until noon Monday through Thursday.  So I wandered around a bit trying to decide whether to wait a couple of hours for the Gondola to open or to hope for good weather next weekend.  I decided to wait.  Your reward for my patience is a video of the experience:


Incidentally, It costs 2000 tg to take the gondola from Medeo to Shymbulak.  The ride lasts around 15-20 minutes.

Children between 5-10 years old cost 1500 tg and I believe that children under 5 are free - I don't actually know that Russian word yet, so don't quote me on that one.  There is also a discount for seniors with ID.

Oh and the hours of operation seem to be Monday-Thursday 12:00 - 5:00 pm (one sign said 6:30, but I saw 5:00 more frequently) and Friday through Sunday 9:00am - sometime after dark - (I think 10:00 pm).

There are restaurants at the top with appropriately marked up prices, but there are also picnic areas so bring a thermos with something warm and a picnic lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment