Sunday, January 29, 2012

Sunday Coffee Club: CoffeeDelia

Allow me to clarify: there is no actual organization in Almaty called the Sunday Coffee Club.  This is really just the name I give to the tradition I have just started of trying out a new coffee shop each Sunday.  So far the members are me and E.M. Forster via "A Passage to India."

This morning's meeting took place at a shop called CoffeeDelia.  There are two locations for this coffee shop.  One is on Zheltoksan and Kabenbai Batyr, the other is across Furmanova from the Opera Theater about halfway down the block on Kabenbai Batyr.  I went to the location across from the Opera.

CofeeDelia has a definite modern vibe.  Plain white dishes, and hard lines in the shop's orange, white, and black color scheme give off a certain Euro-cafe feeling of modern sophistication.   Additionally, light instrumental techno muzak plays constantly eventually giving me the somewhat surreal feeling of living in a 'made-for-airlines' tourism commercial.  A mix of traditional and trendy modern seating caters to a variety of customers.  I noticed that they even had a hi-chair available for toddlers.  It might seem odd to point that out, but many places in Almaty don't have child-seating.  CoffeeDelia also boasts free wi-fi which is a definite bonus.

In addition to coffee, CoffeeDelia serves limited Breakfast, Lunch, and dinner menus and also has alcoholic beverages available. The prices are somewhat reasonable  with most meals in the $8-$15 range.  I ordered a "jumbo" Americano (the closest they come to drip coffee here) and a Cheese Croissant and paid about $6.00 for the meal.  The staff were exceptionally friendly and, while the atmosphere was just a bit too upbeat for my Sunday blahs, I still managed to enjoy my breakfast and my book.

1 comment:

  1. I applaud your taste in choosing companions in this laudable adventure. Would happily join you and E.M. in the Sunday Coffee Club (or, failing that, give you novel recommendations for what will presumably be a rotating membership.)

    ReplyDelete